Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised from dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should WALK IN THE NEWNESS OF LIFE.”
Birth is the beginning of a living process that lasts a lifetime. Receiving the Holy Ghost, born again, is not the finish line, but is the start of a new life style in Christ that involves experience, knowledge, learning, and a spiritual education. When a baby is born, one of its basic instincts is wanting to be fed. By the same token a healthy new born saint has a desire to be fed too. “AS new born babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that you may grow thereby.” (I Pet. 2:2) A baby knows nothing and must be taught or instructed in things pertaining to life as it grows, so do saints need to be educated in the way of God and instructed as to the acceptable conduct before man and God. HOLINESS is that new way of life, pleasing God and not ourselves.
We are to live a life that is patterned after the character and nature of Christ. As newborns we are expected to grow in grace and knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.
- Galatians 2:20, The Life I now live I live by the faith of the Son of God
- II Peter 3:18, Grow in grace and knowledge of Christ
- I Peter 2:2, As newborn babes desire the sincere milk of the word
- Acts 2:42, They continued steadfastly in the Apostles doctrine>
- John 8:31, If ye continue in my word, then are you my disciples indeed.
- Hebrews 6:1, Let us go on to perfection (full maturity)
As God’s children we are expected to produce “fruit”
- John 15:2-5, Every branch in him to bring forth fruit
- Galatians 5:22-25, The “fruit of the spirit”
- Romans 6:19-22, Yield your members unto righteousness and unto holiness
- Ephesians 2:10, We are his workmanship to bring forth good works.
- We are to perfect the skills of Christ’s nature (Spirit) until we come into his image. Until we come into the fullness of Christ Ephesians 4:13
We are instructed How to walk with Christ
- Ephesians 4:1/ Colossians 1:10 Walk worthy of the vocation in which we have been called
- Hebrews 12:14, Holiness without which no man can see the Lord
- Colossians 2:6-8, As you have received Christ, so walk in Him.
- I Thessalonians 2:12-13, The received word, works effectively in us.
- II Corinthians 7:1, Cleanse yourselves from all filthiness of the flesh
- Hebrews 12:1, Lay aside every weight and the sin that so easily besets us.
- Ephesians 4:22-32, Put off the former conversation, be renewed in spirit of mind. Glorify God in our bodies and learn to please Him
- II Corinthians 6:14, Come out from among them and be separated, holy unto God
- I Peter 2:12/3:15, Sanctify God before others
- Romans 12:1-2, Present your bodies a living sacrifice holy unto God
- Philippians 1:10, Approve things that are excellent